Once again Miriam welcomed us into her home to share more of her delicious recipes. This time it was a hearty Cuban favorite, Guiso de Maíz - a stew combining corn, calabaza, potatoes and yumminess! We spent a lovely afternoon, evoking memories, sharing plans and munching on cheese and crackers while sipping a delicious Rosé as the guiso cooked. It was, as often happens at these gatherings, a multi-generational group of women sharing, thereby making the food that much more delicious.
3 tbs Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion - chopped
1 Medium Green Pepper - chopped
3 Garlic Cloves - chopped
½ lb Ham - chopped
2 Spanish-style Chorizos - chopped
1 8 oz Can of Tomato Sauce
¼ cup Vino Seco or White Cooking Wine
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube - dissolved in water
2 15.25 oz Cans of Corn - reserve liquid
4½ cups of Water
4 Corn Cobs - chunked into 1 inch thick pieces (Frozen mini cobs work as well, either whole or halved)
1 Medium Potato - chopped
1 Bay Leaf
1 Medium Calabaza (Cuban Squash) or Butternut Squash - Peeled and Chunked
Pinch of Annatto
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
This recipe makes approximately eight servings.
- Soak the calabaza in water.
- Coat the pan with olive oil and set temperature to Medium - Low.
- Add green pepper, onion, garlic and salt and saute until vegetables are soft.
- Add ham and chorizo.
- Add tomato sauce, cooking wine, bouillon, black pepper.
- Add canned corn with its liquid, three cups of water, annatto, corn cobs, potato and the bay leaf.
- Cover and cook at medium low for 5 minutes, then check for salt and add salt to taste. Cover and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the potato is done, add calabaza and 1.5 cups of water into the mix.
- Cover and continue cooking at Medium - Low until calabaza is soft, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off and leave covered until serving.
The Finished Product
Miriam served the guiso over brown rice and with mariquitas (plantain chips), but it is can be accompanied by sweet fried plantains, fried green plantains (tostones), or a green salad. It's all good!
As always, we had a wonderful meal and a fabulous time. This is a great dish when you have company.