Several requests for a good and simple Carne con Papas recipe have finally been satisfied. Our teacher Grace welcomed us into her home so we could learn how to make this delicious Cuban comfort food. We were joined by family members who only added to the fun!
Grace served the carne con papas with white rice along with a delicious avocado and tomato salad followed by an amazing flan - we're going to have to recruit her to teach us how to make that flan - and of course, cafecito! Oh and there was plenty of wine to go around of course.
4 medium onions - chopped
2 medium green peppers - chopped
1/4 cup corn oil
5 lbs Beef for stew
2 tsps Lawrey's Garlic Salt with Ground Parsley
4 lbs medium potatoes - peeled and chunked
1 lb jar Ragu Traditional Pasta Sauce
2 14.5 oz cans cut green beans - drained
This recipe makes approximately 10 servings.
- Sweat the onions and green peppers in the oil until the onion is translucent.
- If necessary, cut the beef chunks into large bite sized pieces.
- Season the beef chunks with 1 tsp of garlic salt.
- Add the meat to the onion and pepper mixture. Stir to brown evenly.
- Season the potatoes with 1 tsp of garlic salt and add the potatoes to the pot.
- Add the pasta sauce.
- Cover and cook on medium-low for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the green beans.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, setting the lid ajar so some of the liquid can evaporate and the sauce thickens a bit.
- Traditionally served with white rice.